Monday 21 December 2015

Happy Birthday Mum!

Today would have been Mum's birthday. She died when I was 13. This post isn't about death though, it is all about life.
Mum has inspired me through my life with her energy and enthusiasm for things. She had her priorities right stating, 'housework will be here long after we are gone!'
I love the fact that her birthday was a day before mine and we shared the night of The Winter Solstice between us.
As a result, I have always loved this time of year, the days running up to Christmas and The New Year.
I have made sure I never spend more than I can afford at this time and I like my friends and family to do likewise. To me this time of year is not about gathering material goods. It is about sharing, giving and receiving.
I believe these winter celebrations are intended to bring twinkly lights and hope to people at a time when the nights close in early and the weather can be very damp and cold.
I have always liked the fact that lots of people are celebrating at this time of year. It means that a lot of people are happy and cheerful as I celebrate my birthday.
On the other hand, it is sad that many people find this time of year particularly difficult and my heart goes out to them.
For me this week provides the opportunity to rest, reflect and express gratitude for all the wonderful things and people that I have in my life.
Happy Birthday Mum! I will be thinking of you when I eat a little slice of home made Christmas cake later on today. You are one in a million and I wouldn't swap you for the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zzwbYyvWiU
One of Mum's favourite songs!


No comments:

Post a Comment