Friday 11 December 2015

Ideas come in thick and fast when you write the first sentence.

My friend is trying to write at the moment. They are agonising over how to start and I have been telling them just start!
This may seem a simplistic thing to say but the writing process is fascinating. You can agonise for weeks over how to start the first sentence but once you physically make yourself put pen to paper or you type your first sentence everything starts to flow.
To begin with what you write can feel awkward and contrived but keep writing and things get smoother. Once I am into it the ideas start to pour out of my head and my fingers can hardly keep up!
This experience is not unique to me by any means. many writers report the same experience. It is almost as if something takes over and you stop having to think about every sentence you write.
Some say it is your higher self taking over, your true creative self.
Whatever it is I have started to trust the process. I think of an idea, write the first rather clumsy, sometimes wobbly sentence and then whoosh! Out come all the ideas.
You can always edit afterwards. In fact you will probably need to as there are bound to be some typo's at the speed you end up writing once the ideas are unleashed.
Many people, including myself, block our creativity by trying to get everything perfect in our heads before we start. That is never going to happen.
We tend to over-think things and get in our own way if we rely on this method.
If you have an idea for a book then my advice is to just start writing those first few sentences. Do it today!


No comments:

Post a Comment